• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Pearl Harbor

Zam-Zam

Senator
Never forget:

U.S. observes 80th anniversary of attack on Pearl Harbor

Dec 7 (Reuters) - The United States marked the 80th anniversary of the Japanese attack on the U.S. naval base in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, on Tuesday as the number of Americans belonging to the "greatest generation" who lived through World War Two dwindles.

The attack on Dec. 7, 1941, shook a country that had been so focused on World War Two in Europe that it had lost sight of the threat posed by Japan, according to historians. It killed 2,390 Americans, and the United States declared war on Japan the next day.

Complete text: U.S. observes 80th anniversary of attack on Pearl Harbor | Reuters

1638888689460.png
1638888706169.png

1638888737940.png

middleview

President
Supporting Member
Never forget:

U.S. observes 80th anniversary of attack on Pearl Harbor

Dec 7 (Reuters) - The United States marked the 80th anniversary of the Japanese attack on the U.S. naval base in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, on Tuesday as the number of Americans belonging to the "greatest generation" who lived through World War Two dwindles.

The attack on Dec. 7, 1941, shook a country that had been so focused on World War Two in Europe that it had lost sight of the threat posed by Japan, according to historians. It killed 2,390 Americans, and the United States declared war on Japan the next day.

Complete text: U.S. observes 80th anniversary of attack on Pearl Harbor | Reuters

View attachment 67365
View attachment 67366

View attachment 67367
We went to Oahu when my son was 9 and visited the memorial. We had arrived before the memorial was open and back then it was a pretty small dock and a shack to register for the shuttle...there were probably 10 people there when we arrived.

They told us it would be about a half hour late opening. It was because they were placing the remains of one of the survivors of 12/7/41 within the ship. We saw the family take an urn down to a trio of divers who were in the water...one diver faced the family, holding the urn up. The other two guided him backwards until they submerged.

The family came back to shore on the shuttle to a crowd by now...they were greeted with great respect by the people waiting for the shuttle....

When we went on the shuttle to the memorial and entered the memorial I saw a Japanese gentleman accompanied by a LT. He took a wreath down to the divers who took it to the bow of the ship and attached it to the flag staff there. It turned out he had been a pilot with the Japanese navy that day....What was memorable about it was that the Japanese man had tears on his face....I think he was there to honor our dead and to apologize for his part in a dishonorable attack...

There are a number of videos of the ceremony on youtube...here is one. The urn is handed to the divers at about 46:00

Last edited:

Zam-Zam

Senator
We went to Oahu when my son was 9 and visited the memorial. We had arrived before the memorial was open and back then it was a pretty small dock and a shack to register for the shuttle...there were probably 10 people there when we arrived.

They told us it would be about a half hour late opening. It was because they were placing the remains of one of the survivors of 12/7/41 within the ship. We saw the family take an urn down to a trio of divers who were in the water...one diver faced the family, holding the urn up. The other two guided him backwards until they submerged.

The family came back to shore on the shuttle to a crowd by now...they were greeted with great respect by the people waiting for the shuttle....

When we went on the shuttle to the memorial and entered the memorial I was a Japanese gentleman accompanied by a LT. He took a wreath down to the divers who took it to the bow of the ship and attached it to the flag staff there. It turned out he had been a pilot with the Japanese navy that day....What was memorable about it was that the Japanese man had tears on his face....I think he was there to honor our dead and to apologize for his part in a dishonorable attack...

There are a number of videos of the ceremony on youtube...here is one. The urn is handed to the divers at about 46:00

What a remarkable story...Thanks for sharing it.