• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

RIP: Philip Seymour Hoffman

Sunset Rose

Mayor
Supporting Member
I was so sad to read about Philip Seymour Hoffman's death on Febuary 2, 2014. This man was one of the most brillant, gifted actors I've ever seen. He became the character he was portraying. He got a Best Actor's Oscar for "Capote" and he richly deserved it. He was good in "Charlie Wilson's War" too. He was a great talent who is going to be missed very much.

Caroljo

Senator
They found 50 bags of Heroin in his apartment! He was a great actor....but other than that, with the money he made he had everything available to him to get clean. He tried before. I can't feel sorry for someone that does this and had the means to get away from it.

Sunset Rose

Mayor
Supporting Member
Marvin Martian and Caroljo, thank you for your compassion. I hope neither one of you ever has a loved one with an addiction problem.

Caroljo

Senator
Marvin Martian and Caroljo, thank you for your compassion. I hope neither one of you ever has a loved one with an addiction problem.
As others here know, I have a son with a pain pill addition. Thank God he's never gotten into the other drugs, but he got addicted a few years ago when he'd hurt his back. He's been staying clean for 2 years, with help from his doctor and EXPENSIVE medications that he's been paying out of his own pocket (or mine at times he needed help). He never had the means to be able to go somewhere to help him, all he can do is outpatient. Hoffman had the means to do it, and gave up. I feel bad for his family, but looks like he wasn't even trying to help himself, or they wouldn't have found so much of it in his apartment. Was he maybe dealing it too? Who knows!

Sunset Rose

Mayor
Supporting Member
As others here know, I have a son with a pain pill addition. Thank God he's never gotten into the other drugs, but he got addicted a few years ago when he'd hurt his back. He's been staying clean for 2 years, with help from his doctor and EXPENSIVE medications that he's been paying out of his own pocket (or mine at times he needed help). He never had the means to be able to go somewhere to help him, all he can do is outpatient. Hoffman had the means to do it, and gave up. I feel bad for his family, but looks like he wasn't even trying to help himself, or they wouldn't have found so much of it in his apartment. Was he maybe dealing it too? Who knows!
Sorry to hear about your son. I had a brother who had herion addiction. I've seen close up what it does to people. My brother was kind and good when he wasn't using. Then he turned into a monster when he was using. Yes, Hoffman should have sought help, but addicts don't think like "normal" people.

Caroljo

Senator
Sorry to hear about your son. I had a brother who had herion addiction. I've seen close up what it does to people. My brother was kind and good when he wasn't using. Then he turned into a monster when he was using. Yes, Hoffman should have sought help, but addicts don't think like "normal" people.
I thank God that my son never got into anything like heroin...I see how he suffers with the pain pill addiction if he doesn't have his meds, I can't imagine what heroin does to a person. I'm sorry for your brother, I know it's very hard to see someone close to you go through it. I always wanted to do an intervention on my son, but now he seems to be coping pretty well...especially since he's now working and can afford his meds on time! I can see though how families have to do that and force the person to get help. You don't want them ending up like Hoffman. I do have compassion for Hoffman...but just makes me wonder why he had SO MUCH of it in his apartment...was he also selling it? Don't know!

Bluedog

Mayor
Good actor. Thought he was great in Doubt. That said, I'm sorry to hear that his addiction got the best of him. Rest in peace.

Sunset Rose

Mayor
Supporting Member
Why do you have compassion for a man who chose heroin over his children?
It probably wasn't a choice for him. When I was in nursing school we had an instructor who had lots of experience with heroin addicts. She said you might as well tell them to stop breathing as to tell them to stop doing drugs. I'm sure he loved his children. It's just that the pull of the drugs is very strong. My hat is off to people who are able to kick this drug.

fairsheet

Senator
This is why I don't dream of being rich. I'd either get hooked on drugs or drive my Ferrari into a light pole.