• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Useful stuff....

freyasman

Senator
I'll never wait for a grapple. The good thing about being old is that all you have to say is, "I was in fear for my life" and bingo you are cleared. Like a woman getting the benefit of the doubt. Never mess with a woman with a gun or an old man with a gun.
Read this;
https://www.activeresponsetraining.net/kung-fu-for-the-concealed-carrier

There are 2 potential problems with that; you may die or be seriously hurt in the initial encounter because things don't happen the way you hope they will, or..... things do go like that and you kill the guy (or one of them, it's usually a group) and have the cops, and the entire legal system on your ass for it. Plan to spend at least one or two nights in county while they do their investigation.

So, it might not work, and you're fvcked.....

Or it does work, and you're still pretty fvcked.

Last edited:

voyager

4Q2247365
Read this;
https://www.activeresponsetraining.net/kung-fu-for-the-concealed-carrier

There are 2 potential problems with that; you may die or be seriously hurt in the initial encounter because things don't happen the way you hope they will, or..... things do go like that and you kill the guy (or one of them, it's usually a group) and have the cops, and the entire legal system on your ass for it. Plan to spend at least one or two nights in county while they do their investigation.

So, it might not work, and you're fvcked.....

Or it does work, and you're still pretty fvcked.
No use having a gun if you are going to take a beating. I check my surrounding whenever I fill up for example. I think I could back off enough to get my derringer up and hopefully if I drop one the others would be surprised enough to run.
So far I have never had to test that theory.

freyasman

Senator
No use having a gun if you are going to take a beating. I check my surrounding whenever I fill up for example. I think I could back off enough to get my derringer up and hopefully if I drop one the others would be surprised enough to run.
The root word of "gunfight" isn't "gun", it's "fight".
It's referred to as IFWA; in fight weapon access.
Plan on being in a fight, and having to work the tools into it, not the other way around.

freyasman

Senator
And btw, being on alert when you fill up is good practice; too many folks are complacent about it. Kudos for knowing when to keep your head up.
Gas stations are a favorite example I use when giving classes on predatory behavior, they're the urban equivalent of watering holes. Two-legged predators hunt there just as often as four-legged ones do in the wilderness.

freyasman

Senator

voyager

4Q2247365
https://www.click2houston.com/news/2019/12/03/police-looking-for-teenage-suspects-in-three-separate-stabbings-in-southeast-houston/
For the folks who carry; how able would you be to get your gun out and into play in an attack like this? Does your pistol have enough capacity or is it a "one-bad-guy-gun"? How far away would you need to be aware of the assault, in order to have time to access your tools? Can you sprint away to safety instead?

Y'all think about it.

I hope I never have to find out.

freyasman

Senator
https://www.activeresponsetraining.net/training-vs-experience
From the link;
"The FBI put out a publication several years ago titled “Violent Encounters: A Study of Felonious Assaults on Our Nation’s Law Enforcement Officers.” In it, the researchers identified 40 cases of serious attacks on police officers and then interviewed both the officers and the attackers involved in each case. They talked to both about the training they received, weapons usage, practice habits, and attitudes towards violence. The results were remarkable.

Download (PDF, 2.97MB)

The first thing that the researchers learned is that our assumptions about criminals not training are wrong. Nearly 40% of the criminal attackers in this study had received FORMAL firearms training (mostly in the military). More than 80% of the criminal attackers regularly practiced with their firearms, with an average number of 23 Practice Sessions Per Year. They conducted these practice sessions in trash dumps, wooded areas, back yards and “street corners in known drug trafficking areas”. What that means is that the practice sessions were taking place in realistic environments, under conditions similar to those the attackers were likely to face in combat.

Report this ad

upload_2019-12-23_16-8-7.png

Does that change your opinion about the abilities of your likely attacker? It should. Let’s compare the criminals’ training program with the programs of the cops they attacked…

The cops involved in these incidents all had some type of formal training at their departments, but on average, only fired their guns 2.5 times per year. All of that training was conducted on a static shooting range that had little relevance to the environmental conditions where the cops actually fought.

So, who do you think is better trained, the criminal or the cop? In this sample study, it was clearly the criminal. If you aren’t a cop and carry a concealed weapon to defend against criminal attack, how does your training stack up against the bad guys in this study? Most educated firearms trainers would barely consider at state concealed carry course as “formal training”. CCW classes are generally geared to novices and focus on safely handling a firearm rather than teaching anything that could be considered “tactical”. Yet many shooters stop their education there. It’s not enough.

What about practice? How many of you shoot your weapons 23 times a year in a realistic environment? I don’t know many people other than hobbyist shooters who do that. The average CCW permit holder is clearly outmatched by any violent criminal similar to the type interviewed in this study.

There is another factor that is even more important than training…it’s EXPERIENCE. All training is merely an artificial attempt to simulate a gunfight experience. Clearly experience matters; we try hard doing everything short of seeking out real gunfights to gain as much experience as possible in our practice sessions. In the “Violent Encounters” study, how do you think the criminals’ experience levels compared to the cops?

More than 40% of the criminals identified in the study had at least one gunfight experience before attacking the officer. 25% of the attackers had been involved in more than five gunfights.

Report this ad

upload_2019-12-23_16-8-7.png

That experience changes one’s perceptions of fighting with a gun. One of the interviewed criminals summed it up perfectly when he stated:

“I made up my mind that nobody was going to shoot me again.”

Take a look at this guy. He was 29 years old when he was killed by a homeowner during a home invasion. He had previously been shot in 10 other incidents and survived! Do you think that he might have picked up a few insights about gunfighting during some of those shootings?

I train a lot of cops. Its my job to talk to cops about what works and what doesn’t. I don’t currently know a single cop who has been involved in 10 on-the-job gunfights.

The officers in the Violent Encounters study had far less actual experience. Less than 25% of the officers had been involved in a shooting incident before their attacks. The largest number of shootings in which any of the officers had been involved was three. On average, each officer had been involved in four incidents in which they were legally justified in shooting a criminal, but they chose not to shoot.

Both groups had different attitudes as a result of their differing levels of training and experience. The officers went out of their way to avoid gunfights. The study noted “It appeared clear that none of the officers were willing to use deadly force against an opponent if other options were available.”

Contrast that with the attitude of their attackers. The report noted “Offenders typically displayed no moral or ethical restraints in using firearms…In fact, the street combat veterans survived by developing a shoot- first mentality.”

This study showed that the police officers were outmatched by their criminal opponents in every domain studied: training, experience, and mindset. If trained police officers are outmatched, where does that put the average citizen? It is actually quite astounding that citizens do as well as they do when they confront violent criminals."

voyager

4Q2247365

freyasman

Senator
What year did they start doing this.
I'm not sure, but if your vehicle has OnStar, bluetooth, or GPS, I wouldn't trust it.
I took my wife's truck to the store the other day, and when I started it in the driveway, I could hear her phone conversation from where she was inside the house...... without either party realizing it. Her phone connected to her bluetooth automatically because she was physically close enough.

Anyone wanna bet me these calls aren't being recorded?

voyager

4Q2247365
I'm not sure, but if your vehicle has OnStar, bluetooth, or GPS, I wouldn't trust it.
I took my wife's truck to the store the other day, and when I started it in the driveway, I could hear her phone conversation from where she was inside the house...... without either party realizing it. Her phone connected to her bluetooth automatically because she was physically close enough.

Anyone wanna bet me these calls aren't being recorded?
I'm pretty sure my 95 Chevy PU is clean but my Jeep has blue tooth. I never use it.