• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Useful stuff....

freyasman

Senator
I honestly hadn't heard of this attack until I read this article. Gun laws sure didn't stop this guy....

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2019/10/16/homemade-firearms-used-in-halle-attack/
From the link;
"Homemade Firearms Used In Halle Attack
Posted 6 hours ago in Daily News, News, Other Gear & Gadgets by ImproGuns with 90 Comments
Tags: Ghost Guns, Halle Attack, homemade guns, homemade submachine gun, improvised firearms, terrorism

Several improvised / homemade weapons were employed in an attempted mass shooting attack on a synagogue in Halle, Germany on Wednesday during Yom Kippur. The whole event was live-streamed via a GoPro to the video game streaming website Twitch. Luckily the attacker’s inability to breech a door prevented him from entering into the building where 70 to 80 worshipers gathered inside. A passer-by was shot and killed after which the shooter entered a nearby kebab shop where another victim was shot dead. After being injured during an exchange of gunfire with police the shooter was apprehended and is currently in custody.

The weapon used most during the attack was an improvised pipe shotgun known as a ‘slam-bang’ or ‘slam-fire’ shotgun. This is probably the easiest type of improvised firearm a person can make and simply consists of two lengths of steel tube with a fixed firing pin either welded into a block at the rear of the large diameter pipe or tapped into an screw-on end cap. The weapon is fired by inserting a shell into the barrel tube which when inserted into the larger diameter outer tube is pulled to the rear to fire, forcing the shell against a protrusion fixed into a plug or screw on end cap. The weapon first came to prominence during the Japanese occupation of the Philippines during WW2. Guerilla fighters would salvage water pipe to make them for use against Japanese soldiers, who after being ambushed could have whatever weapons they were carrying taken. Throughout the attack this weapon functioned reliably with no failures, owing to its sheer simplicity and lack of moving parts aside from the barrel.

An improvised slam-fire 12 gauge shotgun fitted with a 3D printed shell holder capable of holding 5 shells. Each shell was loaded with 5 grams of homemade black powder.

The weapon the shooter first attempted to enter the synagogue with was a homemade 9mm submachine gun, the design of which was published in the book Expedient Homemade Firearms by British author and gun rights activist P.A Luty in 1998. During the shooting, a series of failures to feed caused the shooter to abandon this weapon in favor of the shotgun, This was likely due to the shooter having utilized improvised gun powder made from potassium chlorate and sugar which unlike clean burning powder in conventional rounds is liable to quickly gum up and foul the chamber.

The 9mm homemade submachine gun modified with the addition of a wooden stock and sighting device. The tool pictured to the right was intended to allow for extraction of stuck cases in place of an extractor.

A more compact version was kept in the shooter’s vehicle ‘for use while driving and as a 2nd back up’ and features a lower receiver as well as several magazines made using a 3D printer.

A smaller more compact version of the first shotgun, being constructed from 28mm x 2.5mm and 35mm x 3mm seamless steel tubing.

A .38 caliber single-shot break barrel pistol adapted from the .22 ‘Western’ design of which was first published in 1972 as part of the Jaco series of homemade firearm blueprints. The ammunition used in this design was loaded with match heads finely ground into an improvised gun powder.

A mixture of poor performing ammunition coupled with general incompetence of the shooter likely prevented further deaths in this case. Had the attacker armed himself with the sword he also had instead the outcome may have been the same or perhaps even worse."

What are the lessons learned from this?
-There is no such thing as gun control IRL
-Make sure you have plenty of quality ammo cached in various places

freyasman

Senator
Last night I ran into a guy who was 6'6", weighed over 400 lbs, and said he had played college football for TSU. He was also at least 20 years younger than me, had gang ink all over him, including on his face, and was having suicidal thoughts. For those unfamiliar with these situations, suicidal means homicidal, because a person who is willing to kill themselves, is more than willing to kill you too.
Fortunately, this guy got to an ER where he can get at least some help for whatever is bothering him, but it made me think about how I was going to deal with this behemoth if he had gotten violent...... and the fact is, I probably would have had to kill him.
I'm in good shape for my age and the amount of mileage I have (old injuries), I got a lot of combatives and martial arts training and a lot of practical experience applying it to deal with violent or potentially violent people (the only people I ever run into with more are all professional trainers), but size matters..... youth and physicality matters...... strength matters.
It's rare for me to run into someone that I am not confident that I can physically subdue, if necessary, but I did last night.
They're out there.

freyasman

Senator
This is known as "jugging" around here;
https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/two-men-rob-73-year-old-woman-after-following-her-home-from-bank
They follow people from banks or shopping centers and they hit them as they are getting out of the car.
There are a couple things you can do to counter this; first, pick a spot as you approach your home where you switch your attention on. It can be a house, an intersection, any landmark you choose, that will be the spot where you stop daydreaming, put the phone down, and start looking around and behind you. You can't stay alert all the time, but you can get in the habit of switching on as you approach the danger zone, and whether you like it or not, leaving and entering your home is a very vulnerable time and a very common place and time to get attacked.
Second, back in..... it will force you to take a good look around you as well as causing anyone who is following you and getting ready to rush you to pause while the vehicle is moving. It also keeps the doors between you and anyone approaching as you open them. Best move if you spot someone coming is to simply put it in gear and drive the hell out of there, over the top of them if necessary.

voyager

4Q2247365
Last night I ran into a guy who was 6'6", weighed over 400 lbs, and said he had played college football for TSU. He was also at least 20 years younger than me, had gang ink all over him, including on his face, and was having suicidal thoughts. For those unfamiliar with these situations, suicidal means homicidal, because a person who is willing to kill themselves, is more than willing to kill you too.
Fortunately, this guy got to an ER where he can get at least some help for whatever is bothering him, but it made me think about how I was going to deal with this behemoth if he had gotten violent...... and the fact is, I probably would have had to kill him.
I'm in good shape for my age and the amount of mileage I have (old injuries), I got a lot of combatives and martial arts training and a lot of practical experience applying it to deal with violent or potentially violent people (the only people I ever run into with more are all professional trainers), but size matters..... youth and physicality matters...... strength matters.
It's rare for me to run into someone that I am not confident that I can physically subdue, if necessary, but I did last night.
They're out there.
This is why I carry my 45cal. derringer when out. It's my only chance.

freyasman

Senator
Derringer trigger pulls are stiff because you don't want them going off prematurely in your pants pocket.
They make lots of good pocket holsters that will protect the trigger, but I don't know that I've seen many for derringers. They just aren't carried that much anymore.

My LCP .380 looks to be about the same size as that derringer but has a 6 round mag + 1 if you want to chamber it. I want more than 2 rounds.

The drawback is the sights are basically non-existent. You can hardly use them in the daylight. I solved that problem by adding a touch activated Crimson Trace to the trigger guard so all you have to do find the red dot and squeeze. I got it for the wife but she fell in love with the new .380 Shield EZ and carries that one when she goes out strapped. So I repo'ed the LCP.

It's my favorite carry. Sometimes I drop it in my pocket by itself. Other times I use an inside the belt holster and take an extra mag.

freyasman

Senator
My LCP .380 looks to be about the same size as that derringer but has a 6 round mag + 1 if you want to chamber it. I want more than 2 rounds.

The drawback is the sights are basically non-existent. You can hardly use them in the daylight. I solved that problem by adding a touch activated Crimson Trace to the trigger guard so all you have to do find the red dot and squeeze. I got it for the wife but she fell in love with the new .380 Shield EZ and carries that one when she goes out strapped. So I repo'ed the LCP.

It's my favorite carry. Sometimes I drop it in my pocket by itself. Other times I use an inside the belt holster and take an extra mag.
Always use a pocket holster..... you got to protect the trigger.

Always use a pocket holster..... you got to protect the trigger.
Good advice.

I rarely, as in very rarely, carry with one in the pipe. I will only do that when holstered.

I never have a round chambered when it's in my pocket.

Some folks will claim that might cost me when it counts. It takes me about 3 seconds to to get it out of my pocket, cocked and on target. I'm confident enough with that.

freyasman

Senator
Good advice.

I rarely, as in very rarely, carry with one in the pipe. I will only do that when holstered.

I never have a round chambered when it's in my pocket.

Some folks will claim that might cost me when it counts. It takes me about 3 seconds to to get it out of my pocket, cocked and on target. I'm confident enough with that.
Practice drawing while you're in a grapple, and racking the slide one handed.

voyager

4Q2247365
Practice drawing while you're in a grapple, and racking the slide one handed.
I'll never wait for a grapple. The good thing about being old is that all you have to say is, "I was in fear for my life" and bingo you are cleared. Like a woman getting the benefit of the doubt. Never mess with a woman with a gun or an old man with a gun.