• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

We Need More Cops

RickWA

Snagglesooth
Any cop that stays silent when they see another cop breaking the law is complicit.
While I certainly agree, that characteristic would apply to only the TINIEST minority of police officers, the VAST majority of whom are very dedicated, talented first responders indeed. I have quite a lot of respect for police and firefighters. As everyone in this forum knows, it is rare that I praise folks with government jobs.

Zam-Zam

Senator

Zam-Zam

Senator
Update: Durkan's mess getting worse:

Seattle Mayor Proposes Rebuilding Depleted Police Force after Violent Weekend

Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan called to rebuild the city’s police force after the area recorded six separate shootings over the weekend.

“As a city, we cannot continue on this current trajectory of losing police officers,” Durkan said during a press conference on Monday. “Over the past 17 months, the Seattle Police Department has lost 250 police officers which is the equivalent of over 300,000 service hours. We’re on path to losing 300 police officers.”

She noted that while the city has focused on “creating meaningful alternatives” to policing by redirecting funding to community-based groups, that the city “has an obligation to still continue constitutional policing and respond to 911 calls.”

Complete text: Seattle Mayor Proposes Rebuilding Depleted Police Force after Violent Weekend (yahoo.com)

So, how's the "Defund the Police" thing going?

I'm guessing many of those who advocated for it don't really want to talk about it now...

middleview

President
Supporting Member

Zam-Zam

Senator
Back in 2019, this is apparently what many in Seattle thought they wanted:

Seattle PD Dangerously Understaffed As Officers Flee ‘Seattle Mentality’

Seattle PD Dangerously Understaffed As Officers Flee 'Seattle Mentality' - The Police Tribune

Now, they have regrets.

Drumcollie

* See DC's list of Kook posters*
That, according to Mayor Jenny Durkan of Seattle:

Seattle mayor calls for more police after six shootings in one weekend

Mayor Jenny Durkan said Seattle lost 250 officers over the past 17 months

The mayor of Seattle is calling on the city to rebuild its depleted police force after six separate shootings rocked Washington state's largest metropolitan area over the weekend.

"As a city, we cannot continue on this current trajectory of losing police officers," Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan said during a Monday press conference. "Over the past 17 months, the Seattle Police Department has lost 250 police officers which is the equivalent of over 300,000 service hours. We’re on path to losing 300 police officers."

Durkan added that the weekend violence is a "reminder" that there are certain emergency situations that require sworn police officers.

Complete text: Seattle mayor calls for more police after six shootings in one weekend | Fox News

Remember the "Summer of love"? So much for that...

View attachment 64452
Gee six separate shootings? Sounds a like a boring Tuesday with nothing to do in Chicago.

Illinois has had 38 mass shootings from January to June 30th and leads the nation. Did not God command us not to kill one another? Let us not become a Godless society, because you will worship something. Best it be God.

write on

Senator
More training, which costs money, sounds exactly the opposite of "defund the police"....

So, more money for the police?
No, better training- which, if you think about it- would end BLM, Antifa, et al- because there wouldn't be rogue cops.

It'll take time.

Zam-Zam

Senator
No, better training- which, if you think about it- would end BLM, Antifa, et al- because there wouldn't be rogue cops.

It'll take time.
Training takes money as well. As a former military instructor I can personally vouch for that.

Zam-Zam

Senator
Of course it does.

Do you see any reason not to?

View attachment 64561
No. If the public wants more training for law enforcement and are willing to pay for it, I'm fine with that.

Spending more on law enforcement, however, flies in the face of "Defund the Police", which some advocated for, and has had disastrous consequences for the general public.

write on

Senator
No. If the public wants more training for law enforcement and are willing to pay for it, I'm fine with that.

Spending more on law enforcement, however, flies in the face of "Defund the Police", which some advocated for, and has had disastrous consequences for the general public.
The "Defund the Police" was meant to draw attention to rogue cops, nothing more.