• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

name a favorite tv show from your youth.

fairsheet

Senator
Not even The Real McCoys?

Shameful...;)
Nope. We weren't allowed to watch much teevee in general, except perhaps, for weekend mornings. Except for the aforementioned "Combat" then, and "Jackie Gleason", all of my teevee experience comes from reruns.

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
Nope. We weren't allowed to watch much teevee in general, except perhaps, for weekend mornings. Except for the aforementioned "Combat" then, and "Jackie Gleason", all of my teevee experience comes from reruns.
I'm one of those David Byrne kids...grew up in a house with the tv always on. Lots of old movies...and Jackie Gleason too. Ed Sullivan. The Red Skelton and Dean Martin shows were also on that list.

True story. My folks had retired to Florida and I was visiting. Dad went out to play golf and I turned the tv off. When he came home and walked into the family room, he said..."what's wrong with the tv?...

fairsheet

Senator
American history tells us that the American cowboy west, was probably only about a decade long. As well, it tells us that guns weren't nearly so ubiquitous back then,as popular media would allow.

So what?......"Spartacus", "Wuthering Heights", Islands in the Stream"*, and "Sleepless in Seattle" are just as bogus, yet we enjoy them too!

*Sorry, this is the only Hemingway I've ever read - with good (imho) reason.

Wahbooz

Governor
For whatever effetist reason, my parents had a burr under their saddles around westerns. So, we barely even knew they existed, let alone watched them.
It was either westerns or Milky the Clown. And Saturdays were one western after another. Hell, even on certain nights that was all there was. Bonanza, Gunsmoke, and one one night each week it was a different cowboy. Sugarfoot one night, Cheyenne the next week, and then someone else the next week.

Haha, and thank god for 77 Sunset Strip.

fairsheet

Senator
It was either westerns or Milky the Clown. And Saturdays were one western after another. Hell, even on certain nights that was all there was. Bonanza, Gunsmoke, and one one night each week it was a different cowboy. Sugarfoot one night, Cheyenne the next week, and then someone else the next week.

The olden days must've been kind of boring, since everything was in black and white!

Wahbooz

Governor
The olden days must've been kind of boring, since everything was in black and white!
Hahaha, hey... we had a plastic sheet that you attacked to your tv screen. It was green at the bottom, and blue at the top. Another invention that didn't go over very well.

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member

Ha...snap snap...

I think Efrem Zimbalist is the best name ever...

Kookie, kookie, lend me your comb...

fairsheet

Senator
Hahaha, hey... we had a plastic sheet that you attacked to your tv screen. It was green at the bottom, and blue at the top. Another invention that didn't go over very well.
Hah! We thought the whole world was black and white back then!

Addy

Rebuild With Biden!
Here's one I remember watching too... a popular show back when.:D
1954 Episode of "The Pinky Lee Show" (Classic TV)

Wahbooz

Governor
When I was young, only the "rich" people had color teevees. Btw, remember
when every supermarket, drugstore, and hardware store had a tube tester in it?
Oh yes, we used to take the tubes to the drug store and test them. the first color broadcast was in 1954, but most all stations and networks was still in B/W or greyscape. It was a shock to the system when I saw the first color tv.

Our first tv was about the size of a lunchbox, and must have had half a dozen knobs or more on it.

Oh God you lot, after reading this thread I ended up watching a whole episode of the Lone Ranger last night!

Wonder what I might find tonight?

Hawkeye? Roy Rogers?

Last edited: