• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Unintended consequences

Boltlady

Mayor
We may be looking at the beginning of real hardcore racism. I can imagine a future scenario where people will refuse to accept services of any kind from people of color. Doctors, lawyers, airline pilots or any profession where people want to be sure that their results are coming from highly qualified people, are being seriously compromised by merit not being the main criteria for those positions. The whole concept seems like a people version of 'Russian roulette'. One would have to hope that they didn't end up with someone who simply got the job because of color.

We are already seeing too many similar situations in our politics and it's causing some unfortunate out comes.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
We may be looking at the beginning of real hardcore racism. I can imagine a future scenario where people will refuse to accept services of any kind from people of color. Doctors, lawyers, airline pilots or any profession where people want to be sure that their results are coming from highly qualified people, are being seriously compromised by merit not being the main criteria for those positions. The whole concept seems like a people version of 'Russian roulette'. One would have to hope that they didn't end up with someone who simply got the job because of color.

We are already seeing too many similar situations in our politics and it's causing some unfortunate out comes.
Which color(s) indicate highly qualified to you?

Boltlady

Mayor
Could you be more specific? I bet you have some particular persons in mind.
Boy, would that be a list. It's been happening all over the country from local offices on up to the 2nd highest in the country. Of course this doesn't just include color, it includes gays, transgenders, and all sorts of other minorities. My point is that there are actions that are attempting to segregate white people.

I'm really surprised that you would think that's OK given the way it's splitting up the country.

Addy

Rebuild With Biden!
Boy, would that be a list. It's been happening all over the country from local offices on up to the 2nd highest in the country. Of course this doesn't just include color, it includes gays, transgenders, and all sorts of other minorities. My point is that there are actions that are attempting to segregate white people.

I'm really surprised that you would think that's OK given the way it's splitting up the country.
I didn't say it was okay, just like you told another poster, it's about their qualifications.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
None. Qualification is not, and should not be determined by color. People should be selected for various positions because of their ability to do the job.
Not following.
Which color(s) have been chosen though unqualified?

Boltlady

Mayor
Not following.
Which color(s) have been chosen though unqualified?
You asked essentially the same question that Addy asked so if you'll read my post #6 you'll have my answer.

The two of you must not follow the news. A number of high end universities (Harvard for one), have been putting out the word that minorities will be accepted before white students. That includes such things as medical (future doctors), legal and other important subjects. At the same time many large corporations along with a number of smaller companies have stated that affirmative action will very much apply in their hiring practices. Then of course Biden has stated that diversity will be pressed by the gov't. In these various examples merit is not the main criteria.

You only have to look at his cabinet and primary appointees to see that he doesn't select people based on experience and ability in their respective positions. A quick example would be Mayor Pete.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
You asked essentially the same question that Addy asked so if you'll read my post #6 you'll have my answer.

The two of you must not follow the news. A number of high end universities (Harvard for one), have been putting out the word that minorities will be accepted before white students. That includes such things as medical (future doctors), legal and other important subjects. At the same time many large corporations along with a number of smaller companies have stated that affirmative action will very much apply in their hiring practices. Then of course Biden has stated that diversity will be pressed by the gov't. In these various examples merit is not the main criteria.

You only have to look at his cabinet and primary appointees to see that he doesn't select people based on experience and ability in their respective positions. A quick example would be Mayor Pete.
And therefore these people would be less qualified because of their race?

Boltlady

Mayor
And therefore these people would be less qualified because of their race?
That would be the case IF they were chosen ahead of someone who was actually more qualified but simply didn't offer the amount of diversity desired. Personally, if I was in a plane I would not want a pilot who was simply chosen to meet a quota against someone better able to fly the plane. It would be the same with many forms of service.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
That would be the case IF they were chosen ahead of someone who was actually more qualified but simply didn't offer the amount of diversity desired. Personally, if I was in a plane I would not want a pilot who was simply chosen to meet a quota against someone better able to fly the plane. It would be the same with many forms of service.
Again... How would you know... Just by looking???

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
You wouldn't. Scary. Hope would have to spring eternal.;)
So this is your long winded way of saying you have no idea whatever that one is qualified or not. For all you know the individual is the greatest to ever hold the position in question, ever ...

Boltlady

Mayor
So this is your long winded way of saying you have no idea whatever that one is qualified or not. For all you know the individual is the greatest to ever hold the position in question, ever ...
Since they could also be the worst ever to hold the position in question, as you have pointed out, it could, as I said in the beginning be the cause of extreme racism. It would bring many to avoid certain services from people of color or other minority origins to be on the 'safe' side.

It would be better to stick with those where merit is the only criteria.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
Since they could also be the worst ever to hold the position in question, as you have pointed out, it could, as I said in the beginning be the cause of extreme racism. It would bring many to avoid certain services from people of color or other minority origins to be on the 'safe' side.

It would be better to stick with those where merit is the only criteria.
What if Harvard was all minorities.and thereafter airlines solely employed all Harvard graduates. You'd be cool with that flight yes?

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
I can imagine a future scenario where people will refuse to accept services of any kind from people of color.
What kind of people do you suppose will be doing that? Will they be Democrats or Republicans? Will it be young people or geezers? Will Christians do that?

I see people are spectacularly missing the point of your post. When they start hiring to just fill quota's, when they have to hit a certain number because of diversity it has the potential of putting people at risk.