• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Is this a prelude to civil war?

D

Deleted member 21794

Merrick Garland could not get enough votes to be confirmed. Lets be honest. They are saying they will have to go nuclear to get this new guy confirmed, how the hell would Garland get enough votes with or without the nuclear option? No way.

Elections have consequences, both presidential elections, and the house and senate.

Trump deep down probably thought everyone would love him when he became president because his ego is that big. But he has from the beginning acted like this was a game and his team won and he is governing like that which is unfortunate. But Obama also governed with only his team his way and as soon as the Republicans said they weren't going to work with him then Obama shut off from them. Trump will make the same mistake.

The presidents job is to move towards the middle and work with both sides to get what the people want done. Todays presidents move right or left based on their base and get almost nothing done and continue to divide america.
And let's not forget it was Harry Reid that introduced the nuclear option.

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
Merrick Garland could not get enough votes to be confirmed. Lets be honest. They are saying they will have to go nuclear to get this new guy confirmed, how the hell would Garland get enough votes with or without the nuclear option? No way.

Elections have consequences, both presidential elections, and the house and senate.

Trump deep down probably thought everyone would love him when he became president because his ego is that big. But he has from the beginning acted like this was a game and his team won and he is governing like that which is unfortunate. But Obama also governed with only his team his way and as soon as the Republicans said they weren't going to work with him then Obama shut off from them. Trump will make the same mistake.

The presidents job is to move towards the middle and work with both sides to get what the people want done. Todays presidents move right or left based on their base and get almost nothing done and continue to divide america.
Why couldn't Garland get the votes? He is eminently qualified. A number of Republicans heartily supported him in the past...before they decided to not allow Obama to appoint judges.

Examine your comment:

as soon as the Republicans said they weren't going to work with him then Obama shut off from them.

Chronology matters. The GOP openly stated they weren't going to work with him. They shut off the President.

Regardless...that isn't the point. The point was you stated as if fact how I "would" respond if Trump were to follow in Obama's footsteps. You are, as I showed, incorrect.

D

Deleted member 21794

Why couldn't Garland get the votes? He is eminently qualified. A number of Republicans heartily supported him in the past...before they decided to not allow Obama to appoint judges.

Examine your comment:

as soon as the Republicans said they weren't going to work with him then Obama shut off from them.

Chronology matters. The GOP openly stated they weren't going to work with him. They shut off the President.

Regardless...that isn't the point. The point was you stated as if fact how I "would" respond if Trump were to follow in Obama's footsteps. You are, as I showed, incorrect.
Chronology matters. It was Joe Biden who reminded us all to not allow Supreme Court nominees during an election year.

You're right, chronology matters.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/23/us/politics/joe-biden-argued-for-delaying-supreme-court-picks-in-1992.html?_r=0

Lets be honest he could have become president and the first 5 things he did could have been exactly what Obama would want and you would still say his smoke is acrid and his mirrors are cracking.

I couldn't stand the guy and couldn't vote for him but I haven't seen one real world thing that he has done wrong outside of the silly things like tweeting, worrying about crowd sizes etc.

It is hilarious to watch the news shows shocked that he spoke out against a judge. FOR THE LAST DAMN TIME HE SPEAKS OUT AND BELITTLES ANYONE THAT DOESN'T AGREE WITH HIM. People act like its the end of the world everytime he speaks out against someone or something. Thats what he does, he is a bully business man who's bark is much worse than his bite and it isn't going to change.

Well said, and it's been a real revelation to see just how thin the veneer of both civility and sanity really is on the left. These people absolutely lose their sh-t every time Trump does something they disagree with. For my part, I'm gauging every action of his by the effect it has on the anti-American, anti-civil rights, anti-Semitic, racist, progreSSive left. If they hate it, I'm apt to like it, as it's probably good for the country.

SW48

Administrator
Staff member
Supporting Member

Examine your comment:

Just because a group of people say they won't work with you as president doesn't mean you quit trying. But Obama quit trying and Trump will quit trying. You never quit as president especially when every two years you get new members of congress to try and work with.

So all a person has to do is say I won't work with you and you as president just throw your arms up and quit?

You think Garland could get enough votes? A conservative judge can't currently get enough votes, how is Garland going to get enough? You have to admit you are arguing this just to argue it. yes/no?

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
Just because a group of people say they won't work with you as president doesn't mean you quit trying. But Obama quit trying and Trump will quit trying. You never quit as president especially when every two years you get new members of congress to try and work with.

So all a person has to do is say I won't work with you and you as president just throw your arms up and quit?

You think Garland could get enough votes? A conservative judge can't currently get enough votes, how is Garland going to get enough? You have to admit you are arguing this just to argue it. yes/no?
I am on a political forum discussing politics. Shocking, I know.

The GOP was adamant that they would not work with him...and their primary goal was to make him a one term President...and Obama still tried to cross the aisle.

I have no idea how many votes Gorsuch will receive, but he is getting a vote.

SW48

Administrator
Staff member
Supporting Member
I am on a political forum discussing politics. Shocking, I know.

The GOP was adamant that they would not work with him...and their primary goal was to make him a one term President...and Obama still tried to cross the aisle.

I have no idea how many votes Gorsuch will receive, but he is getting a vote.
So all the opposition party has to do is have their leader say they will oppose everything the president is doing and then the two sides will never work together. Eventhough every two years there are new members of the opposition party.

Its a crazy way to think. Yes the Republicans were ridiculous with their statements about opposition 9 years ago. But its crazy to think every new congress opposition party should do the same or that the president should give up because of some words the opposition is saying to their base.

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
So all the opposition party has to do is have their leader say they will oppose everything the president is doing and then the two sides will never work together. Eventhough every two years there are new members of the opposition party.

Its a crazy way to think. Yes the Republicans were ridiculous with their statements about opposition 9 years ago. But its crazy to think every new congress opposition party should do the same or that the president should give up because of some words the opposition is saying to their base.

I agree...it's a crazy and ridiculous way to think, nevertheless, McConnell remains in charge.

SW48

Administrator
Staff member
Supporting Member
I agree...it's a crazy and ridiculous way to think, nevertheless, McConnell remains in charge.
McConnell and Pelosi are horrible for the country and I used to like Bernie Sanders but his Sunday morning talk saying Trump told Americans to hate Muslims, hate latinos, and ACA would be repealed but not replaced are bold faced lies that divide america especially when you have the following Bernie has.

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
McConnell and Pelosi are horrible for the country and I used to like Bernie Sanders but his Sunday morning talk saying Trump told Americans to hate Muslims, hate latinos, and ACA would be repealed but not replaced are bold faced lies that divide america especially when you have the following Bernie has.
The "replace" part is a particularly egregious lie from the GOP...because the GOP has been saying that for the past 7 years...yet have no solid replacement plans.

oicu812

"Trust, but Verify"
"civil war" from cupcakes and snowflakes...

LOL!

find a "safe space" you're gonna need one...

:cool:

SW48

Administrator
Staff member
Supporting Member
The "replace" part is a particularly egregious lie from the GOP...because the GOP has been saying that for the past 7 years...yet have no solid replacement plans.
If it isn't replaced then Democrats will take over power. It will be replaced with some winners and losers.

I for example had health insurance my entire life and my family of 6 has had insurance our entire lives without interruption until ACA took ours away. So there were winners and losers with ACA as with any plan to replace.

I was for the idea of ACA but in the end it did not cover everyone, people did lose their insurance and doctor, and it did not save the average family $2,500 nor was the subsidized ACA users paid for by the young and healthy that signed up. Those were the problems people had with it and thats exactly what we said would happen and its exactly what happened. Now 1/3rd of counties only have 1 option to choose on the ACA website which of course shows the law is unsustainable.

Trump is correct. He said he could just let ACA continue and it would hurt the democrats even more but thats not what is right for the American people so he will repeal and replace while keeping some form of existing conditions, kids on parents health care.

But you have to be reasonable. Right now a person can wait until they have a serious health issue then sign up for health care. How is that fair to the insurance companies? Its like waiting til your house is on fire then signing up for homeowners insurance or waiting til your in a car accident to sign up for car insurance. You can't have that but you can have pre existing conditions covered in other ways.

Spamature

President
How long do you think it will last, and do you have the balls to make a bet on it?
I don't know yet. Republicans get huge leeway. So even this bunch of criminals with all the power they have could last until the next election.

I mean the Republican congress is as corrupt a group of politicians we've ever seen. They let Bush slide two full term after the worst terrorist attack in history. Lying us into one war then loosing two. Letting an entire major city drown and he still got to throw a hand grenade over his should into the economy as the left out the door.

So it could actually take the people to get us out of this one in 2018. But that would be unheard of malfeasance for the rest of the govt to let it carry on that long.
WOW 19 fake news lies let's go have some fake outrage now.
Shut up.

SW48

Administrator
Staff member
Supporting Member
I don't know yet. Republicans get huge leeway. So even this bunch of criminals with all the power they have could last until the next election.

I mean the Republican congress is as corrupt a group of politicians we've ever seen. They let Bush slide two full term after the worst terrorist attack in history. Lying us into one war then loosing two. Letting an entire major city drown and he still got to throw a hand grenade over his should into the economy as the left out the door.

So it could actually take the people to get us out of this one in 2018. But that would be unheard of malfeasance for the rest of the govt to let it carry on that long.

Shut up.
Spam in a post to me said it will last 3 weeks.

SW48

Administrator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Well, he already weaseled out of putting up a bet on it, so I'll just proceed with calling bullsh-t on his whole "argument".
Whats funny is if something happened where Trump was no longer president you would get Pence who could not be more presidential yet he will get hammered by the far left just as much as Trump. So what does it really matter what the extreme fringes on both sides do or say? It doesn't.

Spamature

President
Spam in a post to me said it will last 3 weeks.
I did ? When ? That would be a might bold prediction since they were still investigating him leading up to the inauguration. Hell the dossier was only made public on the 11th of Jan.

What did I post ?

Arkady

President
can this rift ever heal?
If you want an answer, take a step back and try to put yourself in the other side's shoes for a moment. Imagine that your side had won the popular election by nearly 3 million votes, and yet the electoral college had chosen to make the other guy president -- and that this was the second time just since 2000 the people had chosen your candidate and yet the election had gone the other way.

Now imagine that the guy who prevailed didn't try to reach across the aisle, but instead had enjoyed childish taunting of your side. For example, imagine he tweeted "Happy New Year to all, including to my many enemies and those who have fought me and lost so badly they just don't know what to do. Love!" Imagine that, unlike prior presidents, he hadn't tried to reach across the aisle to appoint prominent members of the defeated party to positions within his administration, to bring America together (like Obama did with Comey, Clinton with Cohen, etc.) Rather, he'd staffed up with the most extreme members of his own party, including radical media figures with no government experience.

Now imagine his staff has essentially declared war on reality, lying constantly and shameless -- inventing terrorist attacks that never happened, quoting obviously false stats about the murder, and so on.

Would you expect the rift to heal any time soon, if that were the case? No, me neither.

Keep in mind the rift didn't heal for eight long years with Obama in the White House, despite him being mild-mannered, polite, and extremely solicitous in seeking bipartisan action (e.g., adopting Romneycare wholesale). If even a president like Obama, who continually offered olive branches to the other side, couldn't heal the rift, how likely is it that a guy who delights in insulting and provoking his enemies, like Trump, is going to do it? Trump resembles nothing so much as an Internet Troll, who gets off on saying outrageous stuff just to piss people off.-

What exactly were you expecting when you made that puddle of Ebola-infested diarrhea president? That we'd all come together and start singing Kumbaya? I doubt it'll come down to another civil war, but that's no thanks to Trump, who is acting just the way you'd expect someone to act if he was hoping to bait the opposition into a Harper's Ferry raid. What's interesting isn't the strong opposition to Trump, but rather how incredibly peaceful it has managed to remain in the face of constant provocations.